Interesting Facts About Twins
1. 22% of twins are left handed: I hope this works in my favor because I am left handed!
2. Rate of twin births vary by location: Certain parts the world have much higher rates of twin births than other places such as New Jersey or Connecticut has a 25% twin rate than the general population.
3. There are 7 different types of twins: Identical, fraternal, half-identical, mirror image twins, mixed chromosome twins, super fecundation and superfetation. Those other than identical and fraternal can be quite rare.
4. Twins do not have to be born on the same date: The longest recorded gap between twin births is 85 days. The can happen when one twin is born just before midnight and the other after or where there is a longer gap, one twin is born early due to complications while the other is left in the womb to develop further.
|Mya and Milani's hole in their ear|
6. 25% of identical twins are called mirror image twins: For example, if one twin has mole on the left side of her face, the other will have the mole on the right side of her face. However, my twins are fraternal and one has a whole on the top left ear and the other has a hole on the top right ear.
7. Twins have their own secret language: The term is Ideoglossia. Once twins learn to talk, they mispronounce words but because their other half is capable of recognizing and understanding those words, it seems as if they have their own language. Some say that twins secret language is a myth but being a parent of twins, I think it is true.
|Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen|
9. Once a women has had fraternal twins, she is three to four times more likely to have another set!
10. Twins share DNA, but it is not identical.
11. Twins can have different gestational age: Fraternal twins specifically, fertilization doesn't always have to happen at the same time. Fraternal twins is the product of releasing two eggs within the same cycle, however, the eggs are not necessarily released on the same day; one egg may be fertilized days or even weeks before the other, thus causing a slight difference in age and development between the twins.
|Couple in North Carolina who gave birth to twins with a combined birth weight of 23lbs|
Do you know any more facts about twins? Share!