Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Biggest Challenge in Being a New Mom

This is a challenge even if I had one child. One would think that my challenges of being a mom of twin girls, would be just that, being a mom of twin girls. To be honest, after the first couple of months, things have settled down, especially since they sleep through the night, have a schedule down pack and their personality shines more and more. However, there is a bigger challenge that I continue to face every day and no, it is not feeding, which I love to do because they grab the spoon, smack their food, it is a real joy, but I digress.

Every morning I wake up with a pit in my stomach because I know that I have to face this challenge all day and figure out the best way it will work. The first to wake up in the morning is Mya. I know this because I hear her giggling and rolling around from the monitor. I walk into the room (Milani is sound asleep) and every day I am greeted by the biggest smile from Mya. The mornings is when Mya is less fussy and full of happiness. I look down and my heart starts beating. "Just breathe," I say to myself. I pull the covers off of Mya and there it is. The fluid filled (and sometimes a solid) diaper.

Now, it is the not the contents of the diaper that is the challenge, it is putting on the diaper that has been my biggest obstacle. Yes, I will admit, my biggest obstacle is how to put on a diaper.

And it looks so easy. I use to laugh at the kids on MTV's 16 and Pregnant, particularly one episode where the kids were practicing putting on a diaper on cat. I use to think, why do you need to practice, how hard could it be. Even for a 26 year old, I should have practiced on a cat.

I do not know what it is. I just can't seem to get the corners of the diaper to match with the sticky part. I either make the diaper too small or too lose, where some of the "contents" spill out resulting in another onesie that is added to the already piled up laundry. It doesn't help either that my girls move around, rolling over every time I attempt to put on a diaper.

It is even more frustrating when my fiance puts on the diaper perfectly. It is smooth around the corners and the girls little booty are covered; a complete opposite of what my diapers look like. Even my mom ask me every time, "how did you put on that diaper?"

Give me a crying child any day, but PLEASE do not force me to put on a new diaper! It will take me 10 minutes rather than the 30 seconds it ought too.

Anyone else has this problem? Love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi saw you link on Multiples and more. Nice to meet you. I wish I had words of advise for you on the diapers but I don't. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing diapers used to be a challenge for me too, but sooner or later I got the hang of it. I'm sure you will too :). Maybe you can try different brands? Or maybe you're using the wrong size? Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete